These crackers are so crisp and delicious! They are totally worth the little effort it takes to make them from scratch. They’re great with prosciutto, cheese, and with your favorite dip or your favorite salad! Only 5 minutes to make, 15′ to bake …but they won’t last long!
These crackers are so crisp and delicious! They are totally worth the little effort it takes to make them from scratch. They're great with prosciutto, cheese, and with your favorite dip or your favorite salad! Only 5 minutes to make, 15' to bake ...but they won't last long!
- (whole) spelt flour - 1 cup
- all-purpose unbleached flour - 1/2 cup
- olive oil - 1 tbs.
- water - about 1/2 cup
- sesame seeds - 1 tbs.
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp
- fennel seeds - 1 tbs
- opt. chopped dry or fresh rosemary - 1/2 tbs
This is my basic cracker recipe. It is infinitely adaptable to what you have a taste for. Feel free to substitute the seeds or herbs with your favorite. NOTE: if you find only white spelt flour add 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour instead of unbleached flour.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dissolve salt in 1/2 cup of cold water. Add oil,stir in the flours, and the seeds until combined. Knead the dough a few turns until a ball forms.
2. Flour an overturned 12-by-17-inch cookie sheet and roll out the dough on top of it, using as much flour as needed to prevent sticking, until the dough covers the sheet from edge to edge. Note: place a kitchen towel underneath the cookie sheets to prevent it to slide.
3. If you choose, sprinkle with sea salt or kosher salt and some rosemary, roll again to press them into the dough, score the dough into grids.
Note: White spelt flour is available at most Whole Foods and health-food stores.